This project is read-only.

ViewModel that's derived from BusinessBase help.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I'm using CSLA 4.0 and using CodeSmith CSLA templates to generate the required files. When I create a viewmodel using an object that is derived from BusinessBase and use that viewmodel with a view, the Model property when shown in the data source window always displays as a grayed out icon. The object that’s derived from BusinessBase contains a number of properties including a property that’s a list of other objects. I can use this this list of objects property in a listbox but what the listbox doesn’t do is move from object to object. It seems that because the type of the viewmodel is a BusinessBase, all object below that are treated as a single property/object. I wondering if someone can help me understand what would cause this to happen and how I might work around this.

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM

This sounds more like a CSLA question than a Bxf question, and so should probably go in http://forums.lhotka.net/ rather than here.

However...

CSLA mostly helps you create the Model objects, not really the ViewModel objects. BusinessBase certainly isn't designed to help create a viewmodel.

The exception is that in Csla.Xaml there are ViewModelBase<T> and ViewModel<T> base classes that do help you create viewmodel objects. If you use ViewModel<T> to create a viewmodel, the T type is the type of your model, and is often a subclass of BusinessBase. The Samples\Net\cs\SimpleNTier and Samples\Silverlight\cs\CslaMvvmSl examples show exactly what I'm talking about here, and of course the CSLA 4 MVVM video series walks through it in detail.